Friday, December 13, 2013

Saturday Painting Palooza Vol.435

Hello again painting fans.

This week I will be continuing with the painting of the Grand Canyon. The photo that I will be using is seen directly below. I will be using my usual acrylics on a 12x12 gallery-wrapped canvas.

When last seen, the painting appeared as it does in the photo seen directly below.

Since that time, I have continued to work on the painting.

I wasn't totally happy with the 2 layers of buttes to the rear and revised them. To the far rear, the prior version had only horizontal lines of color. I've now changed them to appear as vertically oriented blocks of color that don't quite line up. It's a bit more realistic. The next closest layer of buttes has received a better balance of light to dark. There is now less shadow. It seems to work better, at least to my eye. Finally, The sky is complete with clouds both high and at the horizon. The painting is now finally completed.

The current and final state of the painting is seen in the photo directly below.

I'll have more progress to show you next week. See you then.

Earlier paintings in this series can be seen here.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Larry Kollar said...

Yow, I got back here just in time to see one finished! Looking through the earlier iterations, I kind of liked the background buttes when they were in white—probably not realistic, but make them look snow-covered and distinct from the front. I also liked the comment about the "1930s Park Service poster look." Nothing wrong with that, to be sure.

You've made a lot of progress with this piece. Now you can identify what isn't working for you and correct it. I keep trying to prod my boarder/friend EJ (who does computer graphics) to come over here and share links to his own WIPs. He's done some good ones.

I'll try to be a little more regular about getting over here; I dropped Chrome because it was not working for essential stuff (like Blogger, which is ironic since they're both Google properties). The thing was, I'd installed an RSS watcher extension in Chrome, and Apple took the built-in one out of Safari. :-(

8:42 AM  
Blogger boran2 said...

Thanks Larry! I'm so glad to see you here. I'd love to see EJ's images. You'll have to prod him again. My own browser is TenFourFox, built for older Macs. I couldn't even consider Chrome but this Mozilla-based browser works well on my g4 powerbook. I hope that you've got your browser issues worked out.

9:11 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home