Friday, November 05, 2010

Saturday Painting Palooza Volume 273

Hello again painting fans.






This week I will be continuing with the painting of the turreted Cape May house. I'll be using the photo seen directly below.



When last seen, the painting appeared as it does in the photo directly below.



Since that time, I have continued to work on the painting.


I've continued to work on the painting, adding opaque layers of color. I haven't talked much about technique so I'll add a few words here. I've used only one thick brush to add all the paint applied since last week. I'm told that art schools use such an exercise (painting with only one thick brush) to get students to focus on the big picture rather than fussy details. My use of this same process has resulted in an image that presents me with a dilemma. I like the current image very much. In fact, I'm torn. I'm not sure that I want to add much more to this piece. I like the rather raw image that still manages to convey the house well. In fact, better paintings often manage to convey their messages with a minimum of paint. So, I will make a few changes and then decide.


The current state of the painting is seen in the photo directly below.



That's about it for now. Next week I'll have more progress to show you. See you then. As always, feel free to add photos of your own work in the comments section below.


Earlier paintings in this series can be seen here.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Larry Kollar said...

ooo, me likee! But lighten up the shadows on the side if you're going to call it good… unless of course, it's only too dark on the computer screen. :P

9:40 AM  
Blogger boran2 said...

Thanks Far! I'm not sure if it is just your screen. It is dark and I'll deliniate things a bit before I'm done.

9:44 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home