Friday, July 14, 2006

Preparing for Invasion

I'm preparing for the invasion.  No, no, not the invasion of Iran, North Korea or other threatening nation of your choice.  No, I'm referring to the invasion of the US by those who would regard us as a dangerous rogue nation.  And surely there must be at least one, or perhaps two, who do so.

Surely we must be regarded as such based upon our tendency to, umm, spread democracy and...our stockpile of chemical weapons, second largest in the world.  But wait, all those chemical weapons are going to be destroyed, at least at some point in time.  Right?


ENS Link


U.S. Will Miss Treaty Deadline to Destroy Chemical Weapons


THE HAGUE, The Netherlands, July 10, 2006 (ENS) - The United States has requested a five year extension to the deadline for completing destruction of its chemical weapons stockpile. But even if the extension is granted, the new deadline cannot be met, a U.S. ambassador says.


The United States possesses the second largest chemical weapons stockpile in the world - more than 27,700 metric tons of deadly VX, GB, HD, mustard, and sarin nerve agent and associated explosives. They must be destroyed under the Chemical Weapons Convention, a treaty signed by 178 countries.


What's that you say?  Even with the extension, the deed won't be completed?  Well, maybe our grandchildren will see it.  Until that time, the preparations for invasion will continue.


Head of the U.S. delegation to the Executive Council of the Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons (OPCW), Ambassador Eric Javits:


"Based on our current projections, we do not expect to be able to meet that deadline," the ambassador said first in April and reiterated at the council meeting.


"We are making every effort and continuing to seek opportunities to improve our [chemical weapons] destruction with a view to meeting the 2012 deadline or completing destruction as soon after that date as feasible," Javits said.


Yikes!  Good to know that they are attempting to "improve" the weapons destruction.  And an open-ended completion date, such a comfort!


But here's more reassurance.


"Let me emphatically reiterate that the United States is committed to the earliest possible completion of destruction of its chemical weapons stockpiles," Javits said.


And finally, a statement for the wingnuts amongst us.


The threat of chemical weapons use no longer is confined to combat, he said.  "The threat now also comes from terrorists and non-state actors," as they may threaten "us in our homes and cities."


In the meantime, I'll offer this.


Talking Heads - Life During Wartime Lyrics


Heard of a van that is loaded with weapons,

Packed up and ready to go

Heard of some gravesites, out by the highway,

A place where nobody knows

The sound of gunfire, off in the distance,

I'm getting used to it now

Lived in a brownstore, lived in the ghetto,

I've lived all over this town


This ain't no party, this ain't no disco,

This ain't no fooling around

No time for dancing, or lovey dovey,

I ain't got time for that now


Transmit the message, to the receiver,

Hope for an answer some day

I got three passports, a couple of visas,

You don't even know my real name

High on a hillside, the trucks are loading,

Everything's ready to roll

I sleep in the daytime, I work in the nightime,

I might not ever get home


This ain't no party, this ain't no disco,

This ain't no fooling around

This ain't no mudd club, or c. b. g. b.,

I ain't got time for that now


Heard about houston? heard about detroit?

Heard about pittsburgh, p. a.?

You oughta know not to stand by the window

Somebody might see you up there

I got some groceries, some peant butter,

To last a couple of days

But I ain't got no speakers, ain't got no

Heaphones, ain't got no records to play


Why stay in college? why go to night school?

Gonna be different this time

Can't write a letter, can't send a postcard,

I can't write nothing at all

This ain't no party, this ain't no disco,

This ain't no fooling around

I'd like to kiss you, I'd love you hold you

I ain't got no time for that now


Trouble in transit, got through the roadblock,

We blended with the crowd

We got computer, we're tapping pohne lines,

I know that ain't allowed

We dress like students, we dress like housewives,

Or in a suit and a tie

I changed my hairstyle, so many times now,

I don't know what I look like!

You make me shiver, I feel so tender,

We make a pretty good team

Don't get exhausted, I'll do some driving,

You ought to get some sleep

Get you instructions, follow directions,

Then you should change your address

Maybe tomorrow, maybe the next day,

Whatever you think is best

Burned all my notebooks, what good are

Notebooks? they won't help me survive

My chest is aching, burns like a furnace,

The burning keeps me alive

Try to stay healthy, physical fitness,

Don't want to catch no disease

Try to be careful, don't take no chances,

You better watch what you say

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home