Friday, January 16, 2009

Saturday Painting Palooza Vol.180 Celebration Edition

Welcome back.




This week we'll be continuing with the painting of the grille of a 1949 Packard automobile. The photo that I'm using is seen in the photo directly below. I'll be using my usual acrylics on an 8x10 canvas.



Seen in a vintage illustration directly below is the entire vehicle showing the grille in context.



When last seen, the painting appeared as it does in the photo directly below.



Since that time I have continued to work on the painting.


I've actually tweaked a number of items. The house reflections between the healight and central grille have been faded slightly with a thin wash of white paint. On the central grille itself, I've whitened the sky reflection and its included cloud. The sky was just a bit too blue as it was previously. Finally, the Packard badge has additional shadows and highlights along with changes to some of its details.


Receiving attention, at long last, is the upper lefthand corner. It now depicts a simple distant background, a welcome visual respite to the densely painted car body.


This piece has been the most challenging painting that I've ever attempted. I am pleased with the result. I feel that I've now turned something of a corner in my work.


The current and final state of the painting is seen in the photo directly below.



That's about it for now. Next week I'll have a new piece to show you. See you then.


As always, feel free to add photos of your own work in the comments section below.


Earlier paintings in this series can be seen here.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home